Saturday 26 October 2013

Post Road Pumpkin Ale


I’ve noticed that recently my world has taken on a slightly rustic, blurred hue. This could mean only one of two things; and luckily, as I remain endowed with youthful exuberance, I can stop panicking about my cataracts. No, no - it’s autumn and it’s pissing down.

A key contributor to the seasonal complexion is the humble pumpkin, however it’s latent potential is often unfulfilled at this time of year. It’s eventual fate tends to be decided at the hands of children with an insatiable thirst to hack away at vegetables while their parents look on in sheer terror for the welfare of the appendages of their offspring. This lack of pumpkin appreciation possibly stems from the fact that they’re incredibly difficult to grow in the UK, as they need 3 months of warm weather to thrive. Hopeless. Predictably then, the first time I ate pumpkin was via a pumpkin pie at family thanksgiving dinner in the heart of New England. Since my initial bite, my affinity for the gourd life was confirmed.


Obviously then, I was drawn to Brooklyn Brewery’s Post Road Pumpkin Ale on my recent visit to Liverpool’s Ship In A Bottle. Unlike a lot of autumnal pretenders (see Starbucks Spiced Pumpkin Latte), Post Road does actually contain REAL pumpkin. Well, almost. Of course everybody is aware of the debate that continues to RAGE about whether Dickinson’s pumpkins are actually pumpkins or squashes but for the sake of the point I’m trying to make I’ll side with the former.

The pour itself resulted in an inch high white crest that dissipated fairly quickly. This was not a letdown though as I was so bewitched by the beautiful copper liquid before me that I barely noticed the head. With only minimal visible carbonation, I was able to savour the reddish shade, before moving on to take in the aromas of cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and of course, pumpkin.

I was pleasantly surprised by the balance of freshness and bitterness on the initial sip, and reassured by the spice and toasted malt notes on the back end that immediately set about warming my cockles. I’ve read reviews in which people (from Illinois to New York) complain about the lack of pumpkin taste but I certainly can’t echo these gripes. Then again, I’m not from the biggest pumpkin producing states in North America; I’m from Liverpool and usually have to get my pumpkin fix from the 2 for £3 bin at Tesco.

Despite Post Road's ABV clocking in at 5.0%, I was tricked/treated into thinking I had drank a lot more than I had due to the rosy flush permeating from my cheeks, and the cauldron of warmth in my belly; a feeling I'd normally associate with cradling a hot toddy under a tartan blanket fortress. Post Road is an absolute treat and will serve as an incredibly effective soothing agent when our windows are being pelted by squads of toerags next week. Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment